Tableau server tip – Email Action

A quick and easy way to provide your user base the ability to email any questions about a given dashboard is to use a URL action. If you’re unfamiliar with actions, definitely check out this Knowledge Base article.

First, I decided to use an image of a question mark as a flag for the user. After a quick google image search, I found the one below that I liked. Download the image and save it to your …\My Tableau Repository\Shapes folder. I created a “Custom” sub-folder in this path to keep my custom shapes together.

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 31 14.38

In your workbook, create a new sheet. The data source used is unimportant as you’re just going to create a viz with this shape in it.

Change the Marks to Shape, click the Shape pill, click More Shapes and choose the Custom folder (or what ever you named it) from the Select Shape Palette drop down. Click your shape and click OK.

ScreenHunter_02 May. 19 16.19

Now drop the omnipresent Number of Records measure into the Shape pill. You should now have a sheet that looks like this:

ScreenHunter_03 May. 19 16.23

You can enlarge the view by dragging along the sides of the sheet. Use the Size pill to make the shape larger or smaller as desired. I also format the sheet to remove Row and Column Dividers. In the Tooltip, replace existing text with something like “If you have questions about this data, please email:”.

Place this sheet anywhere in your dashboard. I prefer mine at the upper corner, right of the dashboard title.

ScreenHunter_04 May. 19 16.30

Create a URL Action. Name it your desired receiving email address. In the URL section, type: “mailto: email_address”

ScreenHunter_06 May. 19 16.36

Now when a user hovers over the image, the Tooltip will appear with the text and hyperlink. In my organization we use MS Outlook. Clicking the link launches a new email which contains your receiving email address already populated.

ScreenHunter_07 May. 19 16.40

Pretty simple trick. Hope you enjoyed it.

Share Button